Monday, March 22, 2010

Mac vs. PC

After reading many various websites, looking at various stats and watching many videos I have concluding one thing: each system is as insecure as the other. While I was looking at the stats on the recommended websites I noticed one thing, these websites are outdated. Yes, the stats for Mac were better then and now they probably still are.

I was shocked to find otherwise. I personally went to the Apple and Toshiba and I began to compare. The Qosmio X505-Q880 cost $1899.99 with no upgrades, 18’ screen. The Macbook Pro cost $2499.99 with no upgrades, 17’ screen. The first thing I noticed was that both computers have the same hard drive space but the Toshiba ran at 7200rpm while the Mac ran at 5400rpm. I am not going to compare every single thing in this blog posting but after comparing processors the Toshiba was better, and it also had much more memory. However, the Mac still won in graphics.

Now just because the stats are better on one computer doesn’t mean that you can’t go and select your own options. Many websites allow you to do that so that your computer fits your needs. That is where my next point comes in. The truth is Mac is pricier then PC and that is something you have to consider, especially on what you are going to use your computer for. If you plan on making videos, dealing with photos, maybe even making your own magazine then a Mac may be for you. If you want to get the job done now and now worry about boarders then a PC may be for you. Still, if you want to deal with photos on a PC go ahead, it doesn’t mean you are going to be any less satisfied. The same with getting things done on Mac.

My point is that no matter how many times you compare Mac to PC no one is going to agree on anything, ever. PC has this, Mac has that but either way they both have things you want. One looks more difficult to use, one is basic. This one has that program; I can’t run this program on that computer. Overall, just buy a computer to fit your needs and no one else’s. Yes, one computer may have some cool little program that looks cool, but are you really ever going to use it. One computer may have more hard drive space but are you ever going to fill it. The Mac vs. PC argument shouldn’t even exist people should just get what they want.

“If the MacBook were a cup of java, for instance, it would perhaps best be represented by Starbucks – comes at a premium price, looks down its nose at weaker, diluted counterparts and is a trendy status symbol.

Personal computers, meanwhile, could be compared to Tim Hortons as a brand: economical, ubiquitous and prosaic in look.” – thestars.net

I still do have an opinion on this argument. Personally, I would rather go to Tim Hortons.

5 comments:

  1. I think I agree with your conclusion. As I said in one of my posts I don’t see why the argument is between Mac vs. pc because really a Mac is just another computer. There are thousands of different pc brands Mac just decided to go more independent. Whatever brand wins in whosever’s opinion is completely up to the person who is going to use it. And the name "pc" is far too broad to compare to just one computer brand. Some are better some are worse. It just doesn’t make sense. I still enjoy watching the Mac guy on the commercials bash the pc guy though but that’s entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with this post. Macs and pcs are far too different to compare. There are things that some people will like about one and things that some people will like about the other. In the end it is all up to the person who is using the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha i like your part about tim hortons. you had alot of good information but taht part made me laugh. But i agree sometimes things are priced higher just because of the name brand behind them. by the way i would rather have tims too
    christian

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the part about they are the same but different prices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written! Tim Horton's for me too, but every once in a while Star Bucks is a nice change.

    ReplyDelete